Monday, February 28, 2011

The one who deceives

In the last 3 hours I have read/watched multiple discussions on marriage/faithfulness/cheating. It started when I read this guest post on stuffchristianslike.com about the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue and how Christian men in particular deal with it. The author(a guest blogger) was basically making fun of how Christian men either try to avoid getting caught with it or how how they avoid it altogether. Personally, I did really appreciate his mockery of a very serious issue, but that's another post for another day.

Later I was watching The View and they had a guest on that was a former madame. At one point she said that married men didn't go to other women because they wanted to leave they, "..strayed to stay." They wanted something that they were not getting from their wives so they went somewhere else to get it. In her skewed logic, apparently this strengthened marriage. So...my husband cheating will make my marriage better? Um ok?

The more I watched and read, the angrier I got. How can they think that these issues are things to be taken lightly? How do they not realize that mindsets like this are ruining marriages and families? Are they just blind?! Actually, they are blind.

They are blinded by the ultimate deceiver. Ephesians 6:12 says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of thisdark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Satan would like us to think that we are fighting against the publishers of Sports Illustrated or against the sex industry. In reality we are fighting against the powers of evil in this world that want us to fail and follow after the things of this world, rather than the things of God.

I have seen this theme of deception creeping up a lot lately. Honestly, it has been there all along, I was just blind to it. Satan constantly making me think one thing, when reality says another.

Be on guard today. When you find yourself getting angry at the store clerk because you had to stand in line longer than you wanted, remember that it is the prince of darkness who wants you to get angry, but it is the Prince of Peace who urges you to show grace. Remember when you are fighting with your parent/spouse/friend/child today that satan causes us to blow the situation WAY out of proportion. Take a step back, take a breath, and ask God to give you His perspective.

I Samuel 2:9 "He will guard the feet of his faithful servants,..."

Hannah

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post, Hannah! I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I hate it when satan tries to get me to believe his crap...and sometimes I actually do. But Jesus reminds me what is right and true. Hallelujah!

    Lauren (Draper, just so you know)

    ReplyDelete