Monday, January 31, 2011

Comparison is the kiss of death

quick side note: My high school English teacher use to say the phrase in the title all the time. She was such a great woman of God. In case she reads this post: I Rachel! How's ap English going?

This world is so focused on comparisons. We are always striving to be as good as someone else. Whether is sports, academics, beauty, fame, musical abilities...the list goes one. Quite frankly I'm exhausted. I've noticed a rather terrifying trend in my life lately though, not only am I comparing myself to other people in the above areas, I also compare my relationship with God to my close friends relationship with Him.

Sometimes it seems that for every step I take towards God, they take ten. I get so caught up in watching them to see how I measure up, that I lose sight of my own progress. Thankfully, Jesus is still watching and  a few nights ago while praying with friends, I heard that still small voice asking me why I cared so much about what everyone else was doing.

My God is a jealous God. He wants, and deserves, my undivided attention. Focusing on other's relationship with God accomplishes one thing: It makes me crazy. It also takes my focus off of God and puts it on myself.(I guess it accomplishes two things.) The more I focus on me and the less I focus on Him the less I grow. I also start to resent others because they have the relationship with God that I wish I had.

I have a wonderful relationship with my Savior. We've been together for more than a decade now and I don't intend to give up now. Thankfully, He isn't giving me up either. After that gentle question about why I cared so much about what others were doing, I've made a conscious effort to pray that I would stop comparing myself and instead focus on my own growth. Since then, I have seen a difference. Its not that I don't care about the spiritual growth of those I love, I just don't compare my growth to theirs.

How about you? Do you find yourself comparing yourself to others? Let's get a hold on this together!

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment